Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Incisional Hernia?/Fatty Tissue?

cherbrig - Sun May 20, 2007 8:53 am

I am a 45-year-old woman who had a total hysterectomy (cervices, uterus and ovaries removed) in Dec 2006. Due uncontrollable light to semi heavy bleeding, that lasted 6 months. I spent 3 days in the hospital. By my 5th day I developed very excruciating pain and a burning sensation (like someone was burning my insides with a hot poker).
I went to see the surgeon who performed the hysterectomy and he said nothing was wrong. He gave me a prescription for Vicodin. Which did absolutely nothing for the pain.
Around the 11th day the pain became so unbearable that I went to the ER where they ran an MRI and nothing was found. The ER gave me a shot and the pain finally went away. Then about 6 weeks ago I notice a lump protruding right underneath and right above the middle of my incision. Which I gives me no pain what so ever. I can push it back a little with my finger. But when I lay on my back it disappears. I have also notice that my bladder doesn’t seem to hold as much as it did after the surgery and that when it is full I have this heavy feeling. I am about 30lbs over weight and someone had made mention that it might be a collection of fatty tissue. I’m wondering if it might in fact be an incisional hernia?
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 26, 2007 1:37 am

User avatar You may have an incisional hernia. Hernias often are reducible (they go away when pushed on) and are less prominent when lying down (due to gravity pulling the intestines away from the hernia site).

I would recommend that you see your surgeon for follow up and discuss your symptoms. Depending on the severity and healing process, such hernias may need to be fixed or they may still be healing closed.

|