Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Heel Surgery

Linnea13 - Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:11 pm

I work at warehouse and basically walk for 10 hours on concrete. There is a lot of lifting pushing and pulling. I have had surgery on my right ankle to tighten two of the ligaments. In about a year I will be having the Kidner procedure done also on my right ankle. I am also having pretty bad heel pain. Through all this I have tried physical therapy, which only helps control the pain, and cortisone shots, which causes almost crippling pain at the site of the injection. I will be getting custom orthotics within a week or two but my Dr. has mentioned surgery for my plantar fasciitis. I have pretty sever pain especially in the morning that runs up my calf as well. My question is what are the chances that surgery will actually work as opposed to making it worse given the environment in which I work? Are there any other treatments I can try? Should I try to combine the surgeries as they are on the same foot?
 Marceline F, RN - Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:23 am

User avatar Dear linnea13,
You have unfortunately given little information regarding your age, gender, or overall health issues. I will offer this insight though: plantar fasciitis needs REST. Somehow you need to find a way to be off your feet long enough for the inflammation to subside. If your doctor is recommending you to limit weight bearing for a while, I strongly advise you honor that recommendation. To be able to walk next year and the next and the next - you may have to exercise the principle of delayed gratification, and put off the warehouse type of work until you heal more. Else you risk developing more and more foot impairments and put yourself at risk for being long term disabled.
 Linnea13 - Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:01 pm

Age 26 Sex Female. Overall health issues are included above. I know all about Plantar Fasciitis and treatments as I have been treated for it along with the other issues with my ankle. I cannot take off a whole year. Treatment has inluded over 3 months off, cam boot, PT, cortisone shots. None of it worked and some made it worse. I want to know about the plantar fasciaa release. 70-80% chance of success seems high in my case considering the work I do. Which I will not give up til all other options are exhausted aside from that I had it before I started this work. More importantly how would the combination of all three surgeries affect each other. The kidner procedure on the posterior tibial tendon(probably going to take place), the plantar fascia release on the heel(unsure), and the surgery on the ligaments on the outside of my ankle(already performed).
 Marceline F, RN - Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:52 am

User avatar Dear Linnea13,
Thank you for the additional information. Specialized orthopedic surgery combining techniques can indeed perhaps relieve your complaints. The Kidner procedure, from the little I know, is typically done on adolescents, but has a reputation for being effective in relieving intractable plantar fasciitis as well. It sounds like you have done your "homework" well, and have surgeons you trust on your case. If you do indeed trust them, and they are suggesting to combine the Kidner procedure with plantar release, you may do well to follow their suggestions. They after all, have the films of your foot, and the details of your health and lifestyle that has contributed to their recommendations. Please be aware you will still need some time off your feet for the procedures to heal, so you do not end up with a failed surgery. You are still very young, and I would hate to see you with a lifelong disability.

|