Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Fistula Removal

fistman - Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:19 am

I'm a 35 year old male with no current medications. In November of 06 i had a fistula removed between my anus and genitals. The surgeon carterized the wound and left a deep trench. I was told that the reason for this is so it can heal from the inside out and it reduces the chance of infection. The problem is is july 7, 2007. Its been over 8 months and although its not as deep, its still an open wound!!! I was told that it can take a long time to heal, but this doesn't seem right. I don't know what to do because i don't see any progress, yet it doesn't hurt. And i worry about infection because its still open. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Fistman
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:10 am

User avatar This does seem like an excessive amount of time; however, wounds such as this can heal slowly. I would not think an incision in this area would be deep enough to still be healing, though.

I would recommend you follow up with your doctor or, if you are able, the surgeon that did the procedure for reevaluation.

I don't think there is ongoing infection since there is no pain.

Marceline F, RN - Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:47 am

User avatar Dear Fistman,
You did not mention the underlying suspected cause of the origination of the fistula. Fistulas are abnormal connections between two areas or organs of the body which do not usually connect, or at a place abnormal to normal anatomy. These can have a root cause in an illness, inflammation, or chronic underlying ailment such as Crohn's disease and others that may relate to disorders of the intestine. As I do not know the origin of the fistula, or the surgical findings prior to surgical intervention, I am unable to surmise the etiology of the fistula or derive an expected outcome. It does strike me however, as it does you, that 8 months seems a bit overly lengthy in healing time. It would be best to relay these concerns to the surgeon who did your procedure for further assessment. Sometimes a fistula doesn't close because it still has material inside the area, sometimes it takes time, especially if healing by secondary intention (which is when the body is allowed to heal itself without surgical closure). If you can imagine a pipe line that you are filling in one teaspoon at a time, how long would it take for the entire process to fill/heal? Still, since you have obvious concerns about the healing process, it would be in your best interest to relay those concerns to the surgeon and or your primary physician.
 fistman - Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:02 am

I'm not sure what caused it initially. It was infected and i was prescribe antiboitics at first and then those didn't work so i was advised to se this surgeon(sorry i'm not sure his exact title) and thats when i learned it was a fistula and that i needed it removed. Thanks for your help i guess i need to schedule an appointment and see this surgeon again and do another follow up.

|