News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: lung transplants

Babygurl21 - Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:05 pm

iam 21 year old female, and iam looking to get my mum a lung transplant. She has one left, and she has asthma and emphazema. I am worried, because she recently had an asthma attack, and now she is writting her will. I want to do a funraiser to get her a new lung, or 2, but i need info on the lung transplant, how she can qualify, and prices. Im finding it hard to talk to a real doctor about it, and finding a doctor to do the surgery here in winnipeg, manitoba. can you please help?? I don't know where to start
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:02 pm

User avatar I'm less familiar with your health care system so I can't really give you any specifics.

Basically, the doctor that would perform the surgery is a cardiothoracic surgeon. The transplant is generally done only when the current lung condition is causing severe limitations to life AND the cause of the original bad lungs is not one that will continue on to damage the new lungs quickly (a surgeon may be willing to transplant someone who has a condition that will damage the lungs very, very slowly but that it very much surgeon dependent).

Following the surgery, antirejection medicines will need to be taken.

My best advise is to try to find a surgeon that does this surgery to meet with. The evaluation process is extensive, generally, so you may also want to talk with your regular doctor about starting the process.

Best wishes. I hope this helps a little.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here