News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Open prestatectomy Or TURP?

walter00 - Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:51 am

I'm 68
I had removing stones surgery from bladder 3 years ago
then stones came back.
Doctors told me that I have BPH case whitch causes stones coming back. And I should remove the prostate. Some doctors recommended An open surgery to remove the stones and the prostate togather in one surgery. Oher doctors recommended to have two operations.
First one to remove stones.
Then removing the prostate bay laser surgery.
is the open surgery safe,or to have two separate operations is better?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:45 pm

User avatar HI Walter00,

In general, when choosing between a TURP or open prostatectomy most physicians recommend TURP.

However, with stones that need to be removed the situation is a little different. I am not able to recommend to you which of the two options would be better because there are many factors involved. 2 surgeries means also 2 anesthesia exposures and 2 post operative recovery times. However, having 2 surgeries at one time generally is a more complicated procedure.

I would recommend you talk with your surgeon to go over both options in detail. This way you will have all the facts and can make an informed decision.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here