Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Umbellical hernia returned~in more pain!

jennafisch - Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:02 pm

HI Im a female age 21 and 2 months ago I had an umbellical hernia repair. It was fixed by stitches only, no patch, the doctor said it would be best this way in case I decided to have another child. Anyway, at about a month and a half post surgery I began to feel pain in the area of the hernia and about a week later, it was popped out and I can now push it back in, so I know it has returned. My appointment has been cancelled by the doctors office the past 2 times and I told them I was having pain and asked to see another doctor in the office and the secretary said I was unable to. It hurts over 50% of the time, I cant vacuum or carry a basket of laundry without a ton of pain, it hurts worse than it did before surgery and I thought that was bad.Now, as of yesterday it is very painful and also hurts in a different spot as well as the original and I believe I may have developed a 2nd hernia.
Anyway, I guess my questions are: should I let this same doctor fix it again and should I request that a patch be put in? If she does fix it again should I request it be done with no fees or lessened fees (I have no insurance)? Should I get a second opinion and have a new doctor fix it? Could the original hernia breaking back open cause a second one to occur or is it just scar tissue causing all the extra pain?

Oh yeah, and I even had to basically beg this doctor to keep me on restrictions so I wouldnt have to lift patients at work, so obviously I didnt break it open from over exerting myself. Please help me I don't know what to do and its stressing my out not being able to do anything without pain. My NEW appointment is in 2 days...that is unless it is cancel for a third time!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:52 pm

User avatar Hi Jennafisch,

Unfortunately hernias can recur. I am not a surgeon so I cannot comment on the appropriateness of correcting a hernia with or without a patch. Larger hernias generally require a patch; however, I cannot say for sure about smaller ones.

It is important you feel comfortable with your doctor. It is reasonable to follow up with your current surgeon or get a second opinion.

I would recommend you be seen soon. Pain associated with hernias may be restricting blood flow to the intestines which could cause severe problems.

|