News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Numbness after hemmorrhoid surgery

bodyman61 - Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:37 pm

I am a 45 year old male who underwent a stapling of an internal hemorrhoid and a hemorrhoidectomy of an external hemorroid. I was under general anesteiasia for the procedure.
I am now experiencing numbness in my anal area and my scrotum. Is this normal? I could not contact my surgeon but I waas able to speak with my primary physician who suggested that perhaps I had a swollen nerve as a result of the surgery.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:02 pm

User avatar Hi Bodyman61,

It may be that the nerve was damaged or irritated from the procedure. If the nerve was only irritated or possibly compressed from some surrounding swelling from the surgery this should get better. If it was somehow damaged it may not get better.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here