Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Small lump on back of head

Crise - Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:11 pm

Hello, I am concerned about a pea-sized lump on the lower right-side of my head at the edge of my hairline -- it is basically in the lower right corner of my hairline. I first noticed it when I was 15 years old (about 7 years ago) and at the time a nurse told me not to worry about it and that it was probably a calcium deposit.

Lately that little lump has been causing me pain. It seems like it has gotten a little bigger -- protruding rather than in diameter -- and it seems to be sore very often. Lately it has been difficult to hold my head up with out it causing me some discomfort toward the end of the day.

Also, within the past few months I have noticed that my vision is begining to get blurry. I am not sure if this is related to this issue or not.

I would appreciate any feedback on this issue so that I can find out what this problem is as soon as possible. Thanks!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:42 pm

User avatar Dear Crise,

This lump could be either a lymph node or a sebaceous cyst (more common).

It has to be looked at to decide what it is.

From the chronic history and the slow rate of growth, i would not be worried.

The pain might indicate an infection. You have to go to your doctor.

charlotte1565 - Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:09 am

HI,
I'm 13 & live in TX, about two & 1/2 weeks ago, i was in the bathroom & i noticed these lumps on the back of my head. first there was two, and now theres four. (they are quite painful (sometimes).) one of them is some what of a blister and it itches but its a bump just as the others are. the lumps are where the 9th transsverse sec & the 11th coronal section is. (don't ask me why i knew that) the lumps are very hard and immobile. theyre about... one centimeter across (perfect circle)

|