News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Lingering tiredness after surgery?

lynnhopes - Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:26 pm

Hello

Firstly I would like to say I am very grateful for this forum and all the health professionals who take time out of their crazy busy schedules to answer questions. I very much appreciate it.

I am a 26 year old female who has PCOS and endometriosis. I have had 4 major depressive episodes in the past ten years. Regarding medication I am currently taking Lustral 100mg daily along with Glucophage 1500mg daily for my PCOS. I had a laparoscopy and an ovarian drilling in 2003. I have also had a gastroscopy done with local anesthetic and exploratory surgeries done on my bladder when I was younger.

On the 22nd of August 2007 I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed. The pain afterwards was very severe and my face swelled up completely. The pain has since moved to my teeth itself which my dental surgeon tells me is due to nerve damage/bruising during surgery. The pain is decreasing; however I am finding myself tiring very easily.

Taking an easy day at home of making lunch, cleaning up afterwards, dressing and putting on makeup, reading and going on the internet feels like running a marathon. My surgeon says that I cannot go back to the gym for at least another 3 weeks and that it's early days regarding my energy levels.

Can you give me any idea of when this lingering tiredness will dissipate? Aside from resting and eating well is there anything else I can do? Also, physiologically what is the explanation for this tiredness as I was only under for about 30-40 minutes? Is there still some anesthetic left in my system? I don't recall feeling this tired after my laparoscopy.

Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:22 pm

User avatar Hi,
As long as it has taken us to get to your question, I suspect it has probably resolved by now.

Surgery and illnesses can take a serious toll on your body so it isn't any wonder you might have had a difficult time bouncing back to normal. Your body needs time to heal itself and with some things, time alone heals. But, you do have to plan on the time. These days we tend to overwork and overextend ourselves rather than allowing the rest that will do us the most good. I suspect this is your case and you had an idea when you would be recovered, but that didn't happen according to your schedule.

If by chance you are still feeling lethargic and weak, you should definitely be checked by a doctor in case you have become anemic or have some type of lingering infection. It sounds like you know what you need to do with rest and diet.

Best wishes.
 lynnhopes - Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:51 pm

Thank you very much for that reply! Yes you are right I am better now. It took me about 3 weeks to get over it and I had planned on maybe 3 days :).
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:45 pm

User avatar You are welcome. I'm glad you are doing better now. Thanks for the update.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here