Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: left varicocelectomy - sympoms still there?

MYOUNG - Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:55 am

Almost 3 weeks ago - 19 days to be precise, I had a left varicocele treated. I was in a lot of pain for about a week after, was treated for epididymidus, etc. That is cleared up, the soreness is only there now if I do things overly physical. However, the varicocele is still there. It might be a bit smaller, it was very large before, and it is much more tender now. I am a 20 years old, and this is my first surgical operation.

Should I be worried that the varicocele has not gone away yet? Do you think the surgeon might have missed a vein? He said it was much worse then he thought when he began and it took him 90 minutes as opposed to the 45 minutes that was intended. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:37 am

User avatar Hi Myoung,

Without examining you I am not able to say for sure why you may still have a varicocele. It may be that there were some residual veins that were missed during the first surgery. If the initial varicocele was very large this could happen.

I would recommend you follow up with your surgeon for a re-evaluation to see if your current symptoms are causing any problems or if your current varicocele needs further treatment.

|