News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: left varicocelectomy - sympoms still there?

MYOUNG - Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:55 am

Almost 3 weeks ago - 19 days to be precise, I had a left varicocele treated. I was in a lot of pain for about a week after, was treated for epididymidus, etc. That is cleared up, the soreness is only there now if I do things overly physical. However, the varicocele is still there. It might be a bit smaller, it was very large before, and it is much more tender now. I am a 20 years old, and this is my first surgical operation.

Should I be worried that the varicocele has not gone away yet? Do you think the surgeon might have missed a vein? He said it was much worse then he thought when he began and it took him 90 minutes as opposed to the 45 minutes that was intended. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:37 am

User avatar Hi Myoung,

Without examining you I am not able to say for sure why you may still have a varicocele. It may be that there were some residual veins that were missed during the first surgery. If the initial varicocele was very large this could happen.

I would recommend you follow up with your surgeon for a re-evaluation to see if your current symptoms are causing any problems or if your current varicocele needs further treatment.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here