Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: rectal abcess

stevd007 - Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:50 pm

I am a 34 y/o male. One year ago, I had a huge external rectal abcess that drained on its own. I now have an internal abcess that the doctor suggested surgery for. He performed an incision and a needle aspiration on abcess a couple days ago. It was very painful but it seems to have accomplished its goal. I have no more pain. The doctor told me if it felt better then cancel the surgery. My concern is, did he get all the infection out or should I go through with the surgery to make sure? He took a sample to check for the cause of the bacteria, such as MRSA. I also work in a hospital. Please help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:43 pm

User avatar Hi Steved007,

If your pain is dramatically improved it is unlikely that you still have a significant infection. Often, after the area is drained the antibiotics are able to work much better and can clear the infection.

I would recommend seeing your doctor and discussing the need for further surgical drainage. It is likely you will not need this given your improvement thus far.

|