Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: swelling of the parotid gland

sandra - Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:13 am

For years I have experienced swelling of the glands on both sides of my face. This is not painful but starts with really bad itching where the swelling comes, I feel I could scratch and scratch and as this happens my face swells, sometimes a lot worse than others. There are no other symptoms other than occasionally a slight feeling of breathlessness, but nothing major.

I do seem worse when I am going through stressful situations.

Can you help
 nicole22 - Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:26 pm

Hello there Sandra... I hope and pray that you get this message because I have had the same symptoms...except for the breathlessness. It all started in 1995 with itching right around my ear (in front and underneath) on both sides but no swelling. Then as the years went by my parotid glands started swelling, then I would have sharp pain in that area along with a fever. After seeing about a dozen specialists I have had every test you can imagine and they still haven't been able to diagnosis me correctly! I could go on and on about this condition that has been affecting my life for over the last ten years so that's why I hope that you get this message and is able to refer me or let me know what they found with your situation...Thanks so much!!!!
Desperate and frustrated.... :!:
 WestcoastLA - Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:11 pm

I also have had the same itching and swelling of the parotid glands for the past 10 years. What is unique to us, it seems, is the itching associated with the swelling. I've been to every specialist imaginable--even Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. They don't know what is causing it. I've missed work when the swelling becomes so severe that it is unbearable to be in public. Recently, i was injected with Botox in each parotid. It helps with the swelling. I don't swell as much as I did before. Much, much better...however the occassional itching continues and the sticky mucous that comes out of the parotid duct on occassion still comes out. Some doctors feel like it could be a food allergy of some kind. any info from anyone would be appreciated.
 nicole22 - Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:48 pm

So I'm not crazy after all! Your story is a blueprint of my symptoms...I also have seen every specialist and have every test done...I was also thinking that it was a food allergy but when ate the exact same food two days in a row, one day I would have swelling and the other nothing or even one I would have intense itching accompianed by swelling and the next nothing, so I basically ruled that out. My ENT was going to do the botox injections but my insurance (BCBS) won't cover it because of the word botox is considered cosmetic even though its medical! I have a few questions for you: Do you have excessive saliva flow? Do you have herpies? Im asking because it seems to come along with stress and also when I eat...I have both of those so Im doing a process of elimination. Please respond as soon as you can, Im going to my ENT tomorrow to discuss my options, since the botox is too expensive w/out ins. Im so frustrated..
 marissa88 - Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:03 pm

I am experiencing itching and swelling under and in front of my ears. It comes and goes. There is no serious pain. I have been keeping track to see if it was food allergies, but it doesn't seem to be related to what type or kind of food I eat. I've never had food allergies before. Sometimes it will happen even when chewing gum, drinking coffee, or not consuming anything at all. I had surgery in March 2004 on my turbenoids, I had them scraped and also had my broken nose put back straight. The itching started September 2004 and has continued since. After some searching I think it might be my parotid glands. I see there are 3 other woman posting the exact same symptoms with no diagnosis. They mentioned botox injections, but how would that help and is it just making the real problem? I do have hay fever and have been taking allergy medications, from alegra, to zyrtec, to claritan and flonase over the years. . I occasionally get cold sores and have taken valtrex to clear them. I have been taking birth control for about 5-6 years . I am a 27 year old woman living in Michigan.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:50 am

At least four of you have reported very similar symptoms.But,unfortunately, in the medical literature, there is pathetically little information about any well known condition or a syndrome causing such symptoms.
Is it perhaps that
- that most individuals presenting with such symptoms did not seek medical attention,
- the doctors who saw them first did not refer them for expert opinions or
- this kind of a symptom complex was not found to be 'interesting enough' to be published in the medical journals.

Leaving aside my frustration of not being able to answer you for the moment, i would like to tell you about one 'similar' condition...
- Idiopathic (symptomatic) pruritus of the ear:
predominantly affects elderly women(over 60 years of age).Causes episodic bilateral itching in external ear canals.Etiology uncertain.?hormonal, ?autonomic dysfunction, ?metabolic(diabetes mellitus)
Good luck!

|