Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Hemorrhoids at 22?

TrueStar - Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:39 pm

Twice in the past five months or so I've notice very small "pinpricks" of blood on toilet paper after defecating; in both instances I had been straining hard. In both occurences I could feel a bump that was sore to the touch. The first time it happened I looked up the symptoms on Google and it seemed as though it was hemorrhoids. I increased my fiber intake and didn't have any problems for a while (the bump went away). Recently though, I was lax in monitoring my fiber intake and the same thing happened last night.

Is this hemorrhoids? If so, why is it happening now? I've never particularly watched my fiber intake so why would that start to have an effect now? I can't imagine all people my age having to make worry about how much fiber they're taking in. Are some people just more susceptible to this? The only change in my diet is that because I've started working out, I've begun a high-protein diet. I take a protein shake (46g) 3 times a week and the rest of the time try to consume whole food sources of protein (chicken breast, tuna, egg whites, etc.) Is such a diet particularly harder on the digestive tract thus requiring me to up fiber intake? Another thing is that on Monday I did squats . . . could that have had an effect?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:58 am

User avatar Hi TrueStar,
It certainly fits the picture of hemorrhoids. Some people are more prone to developing hemorrhoids due to inherent problems with their bodies' collagen and elastic fibers. These people may have other related defects such as 'flat feet', herniae. Others develop hemorrhoids due to problems in their intestinal tract. I would suggest you get it checked out as soon as possible.

TrueStar - Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:27 pm

I haven't seen a doctor since high school (pediatrician). Should I see a proctocologist for this? Also, are there any online sources for finding such a doctor?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:51 pm

User avatar No you should see a general surgeon actual. Any general surgeon will help you with this.

|