Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: vasectomy

gldmine - Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:57 pm

I am a 33 yo male considering a vasectomy. past surgeries include an L5-S1 laminectomy/diskectomy? in 2001 and a 2 level anterior/posterior lumbar fusion with implants in 2003.
current meds--cymbalta,klonopin,flexeril,vicodin.
question is simple,after reading all about vasectomy and viewing many before and after photos,,what concerns me more than the procedure is that it appears that after the vas defrens is cut,the testicles just lay in your scrotum attached to nothing!!! is this true>? do the testes just sit freely on the bottom of the scrotum and for lack of a better phrase "not hooked to anything? if so will they not move around too much or get jarred out of position?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:12 pm

Your question certainly makes sense, but the tube that is cut during a vasectomy (vas deferens) does not have any function other than transporting the sperm and is not part of the support structure in the scrotum or testes so there would be no change in sensation, sexual activity or other anatomy after the procedure.
 RonM - Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:56 am

Hi, I am a 51y.o. male, married, and in good health. We went in for a vasectomy three days ago and the doctor found and severed the left vas then was unable to find the right vas. The right testicle is perhaps 40% smaller than the left. Doc recommends going into hospital to have missing vas located and severed in the abdomen. This requires general anesthetic. Is there another way ? Should I have another doctor try to find it through the scrotum ? Thank you.
 rabalska - Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Hi, I'm an 18 year old girl. I just wrote a first year biology exam. One of the questions was: If a vasectomy takes place, will you be able to extract the sperm and insert it into an embryo in a proper medium?
I was just wondering if somebody could explain this to me.. whether its possible or not/why?
thank you
alex.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:03 am

I completely concur with the views of Debbie Miller, RN.

|