News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: vasectomy

gldmine - Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:57 pm

I am a 33 yo male considering a vasectomy. past surgeries include an L5-S1 laminectomy/diskectomy? in 2001 and a 2 level anterior/posterior lumbar fusion with implants in 2003.
current meds--cymbalta,klonopin,flexeril,vicodin.
question is simple,after reading all about vasectomy and viewing many before and after photos,,what concerns me more than the procedure is that it appears that after the vas defrens is cut,the testicles just lay in your scrotum attached to nothing!!! is this true>? do the testes just sit freely on the bottom of the scrotum and for lack of a better phrase "not hooked to anything? if so will they not move around too much or get jarred out of position?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:12 pm

User avatar Hello,
Your question certainly makes sense, but the tube that is cut during a vasectomy (vas deferens) does not have any function other than transporting the sperm and is not part of the support structure in the scrotum or testes so there would be no change in sensation, sexual activity or other anatomy after the procedure.
 RonM - Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:56 am

Hi, I am a 51y.o. male, married, and in good health. We went in for a vasectomy three days ago and the doctor found and severed the left vas then was unable to find the right vas. The right testicle is perhaps 40% smaller than the left. Doc recommends going into hospital to have missing vas located and severed in the abdomen. This requires general anesthetic. Is there another way ? Should I have another doctor try to find it through the scrotum ? Thank you.
 rabalska - Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Hi, I'm an 18 year old girl. I just wrote a first year biology exam. One of the questions was: If a vasectomy takes place, will you be able to extract the sperm and insert it into an embryo in a proper medium?
I was just wondering if somebody could explain this to me.. whether its possible or not/why?
thank you
alex.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:03 am

User avatar Hi,
I completely concur with the views of Debbie Miller, RN.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here