Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Excercise and inguinal hernia?

DarcTangaent - Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:06 am

Fairly sure that I have an inguinal hernia. I've noticed a swelling on the right side of my groin area and a bit of discomfort. My family is predisposed to hernias and I had an umbilical hernia as a child. I wil not be able to see my doctor for a couple of weeks. In the meantime I would like to go biking. Is this advisable?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:16 am

If it is indeed a hernia (swelling in the characteristic inguinal region, impulse on cough) and you feel discomfort or your discomfort is increasing then it is advisable to avoid exercise for the time being. That said, its mainly weight bearing exercise that should be avoided. Cycling may actually help later on. In any case its always advisable to avoid strenuous exercise.

DarcTangaent - Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:45 pm

Thanks. The swelling is noticable, including a difference in the length of the associated testicle and I did some quick research on the internet and it looks dead on like a hernia . I'm actually having very little discomfort and just want to avoid anything that may aggravate the situation.
I definitely appreciate your help. I'll definitely try keep any excercise areobic. Thanks again!

|