News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: liposuction while breastfeeding

mommy - Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:03 pm

is it okay to have liposuction while breastfeeding? i am so anxious to be rid of my tummy fat and don't want to wait 8 more months for the lipo.

i am 39 years old. i am 5'5" and weigh 152. i am in good health. i take levyoxyl for thyroid.

i had my child 4 months ago.

thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:28 am

User avatar Congratulations on your decision to breastfeed and to desire to continue. In doing this you are giving your baby a gift of love nothing else can duplicate. The health benefits of breastfeeding are tremendous. The recommendation is breastmilk for at least the first year of life so you are doing great!

As for liposuction - this would mostly depend on what they use for anesthetic. Local and regional anesthesia are fine so if that is used, should be no problem. Pain relievers such as those they offer in the hospital after delivery are also considered safe in breastfeeding so if you need pain relief after the procedure, this should not interfere. You should be able to find out what they use and if they give you a sedative, check with a resource such as otispregnancy.org (you may have a local teratology hotline service available in your area also)about specific medications that might be used to sedate you. They are very current on these issues - more so than the doctors as a rule. It is not uncommon for the doctor to advise you to discard your milk to be on the safe side but in many cases the medication has not been found to be harmful so it could be unnecessary. By checking with this service you can get reliable information. La Leche League International can also advise you on this. (llli.org)

There is no reason at all that I can see to discontinue breastfeeding in this case. If it was not advised, you would be wise to wait until you were finished breastfeeding rather than wean early. The benefits are so worth it and your baby will be grown way too fast as it is - even though right now it seems like a long time.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here