Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Post herina pain

jkam - Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:14 pm

Hi I had bilaterial herina surgery 3 months ago I have done pretty well, but from time to time, after over doing it I get a knifeing pain about 4 inches below the insision , on the right side only .I have been looking for possiable reasons for this pain . Can you give me some feedback. this has happened twice since the surgery and both times it went away. I was hopeing for a reason why it happens?

Thanks John K.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:59 pm

User avatar Hello Jkam,

It may be that you have developed a small amount of scar tissue, which may have formed a tighter band in the area of your pain. If this happened, when you move just right it may pull on a nerve.

If you begin to have this frequently or if it is getting more painful I would recommend you follow up with your surgeon for an evaluation.

jkam - Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:30 am

Dr lowe

It sounds like you are spot on. My problem is that i will be out of town for 5 weeks before i can see my doctor .Do you have any suggestions on how to help the area of possiable nerve inpengment. Rest ? massage therpy and if the pain gets worst what has to be done for it to go away?

thanks John K
 rich543 - Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:46 pm

I had double hernia surgery 4.5 weeks ago and am experiencing burning pain sometimes when I move or I massage the area around the incision or below it. Is this normal? I'm suppose to be returning back to work in 2 weeks and I lift 100 lbs at times. Will this be ok? Can I exercise?

rich543

|