News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Thinking about circumcision

Googol - Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:47 pm

17 year old male

I haven't been able to fully contract my foreskin comfortably. I thinks it's because my frenulum is too short, i think a disorder called frenulum breve, but I've never had it diagnosed. Regardless of if it's treatable without surgery, I'm thinking about opting for circumcision complete with frenectomy.

I just have a few questions regarding the surgery:

How common is it for adults to get circumcised?
How safe is it? (I heard something like 1 in 20 are botched, but from an unreliable source)
Is it performed by a surgeon or can my family doctor do it?
What's the recovery time?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:17 pm

User avatar Hello,
Adult circumcision is usually performed in the outpatient setting by urologists. Accurate statistics about how many of these are performed is not available. Approximately 60% of male infants in the U.S.A. are circumcised.

Risks are typical of surgical procedures and include bleeding, hematoma, infection, inadvertent damage to the glans, removal of too much or too little skin, aesthetically unpleasing results and a change of sensation during intercourse. A urologist, experienced in the procedure, with a good track record is the best assurance for safety in the procedure. It is done under anesthesia and full recovery takes from four to six weeks, during which time all penile stimulation is avoided.

It is important to weigh the risks and benefits when making your decision. Benefits may include simpler hygiene and may result in fewer local infections, resolution of the problems you are having, and less risk of frenular tears and bleeding during intercourse.

Good luck with this.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here