Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Abdomnioplasty, seroma, infections

SPCErnst - Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:54 am

My wife recently (2 weeks ago) had an abdomnioplasty performed. we've had trouble with the drains inserted in the lower abdominal region right above the pubic/groin area. Both drain openings at the skin level were getting infected with symptoms of redness, itching, minor swelling, and tenderness. I, with her doctors permission and guidance removed the left drain my self with no complications. that side is doing fine being the pain is gone and the wound is healing normally. However, the right drain is now displaying major problems for concern. the opening where the drain tube is inserted has swollen to "golf-ball" size and is very tender and painful. Touching the area causes extreme pain. The right side of the obliques/hip region is painful and tender to the touch. The drain bulb and tube contains a fluid consistency of thin watery applsauce, is more brownish in color, and has become more thick compared to the watery blood like fluid it was putting out. We're starting to disagree with the doctor as far as whether or not it needs to come out. I want to get a second opinion. I looked up infections that are common with this procedure and read about a possible seroma, but couldn't find anything on more precise symptoms. Would any one be able to help as far as providing a little more insight as to what may be wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:32 pm

If you are concerned about possible infection you should be seeing your doctor; not just removing the drain. The surgeon needs to see the swelling you describe. This would be the place to start. If the doctor refuses to see you (I doubt he would) you should see another provider because post-op infections can be serious.

If it is a seroma it may need to be drained but this should be done under sterile conditions with possibly the use of antibiotics to prevent infection. At any rate, she should see her doctor about it.

Best wishes to you both.

|