Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: I did something stupid and now I'm scared! Please help.

MelindaCast - Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:06 pm

This Sunday I tried to give myself a breast reduction. I think I cut 2 or 3 veins. I applied pressure until the spurts stopped. It was not a pulsing spurt. I removed about a cup of fat or more from one of my breasts, but was afraid of blood loss to do the other. I’m too embarassed to go have it check by my doctor. I don't even take my clothes off for my husband of 8 years. I didn't want to sit in the hosp. with no shirt on while they criticize what I did. I took a needle and heated it with a lighter for awhile. I drenched it and some thread with alcohol and sewed myself up. I recleaned it with alcohol and then applied neosporing and bandaging. It looked quite good considering I did it myself. I have been taking Levaquin since. It seemed fine until this morning when I got up and around the cut is small puffy areas that are yellow. I have no fever, red streaks, chest pain, shooting pain down my arm although I am concerned of possible infection. Is this something I should be concerned about or just normal bruising?
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:23 pm

User avatar Hello:
I can certainly understand why you are scared and I do understand why you did what you did. The burden of large breasts can cause a lot of pain. However doing surgery on yourself is extremely dangerous. I urgently suggest you go immediately to your doctor or the emergency room. Please do not wait a few more days. The risk of infection is great and is very serious, even life-threatening. Believe, both doctors and nurses will understand and will not judge you. However, they may be able to direct you to get the help you need so you will not find it necessary to do surgery on yourself again. Please let me know how things are going and what happens. I care. I will be worrying about you till I hear from you again.
Regards,
Carolyn
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:38 pm

User avatar Hi!

I unite with Carolyn in appealing to you to seek help at the earliest. This could be even life-threatening. I am positive by the standards of this land that any Emergency Room would cater to your needs without being judgmental about the circumstances that led you to such extremes. Even without an insurance, an ER is bound by law to help you.

bill
 MelindaCast - Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:24 am

I went to the ER yesterday and the triage nurse was very nice and didn't make me feel bad. The doctor came in a little upset and condescending. She wanted me to have a psychiatric evaluation. It was a good thing I brought my sister as she vouched for my sanity. The doctor checked my incision and said it looked good and there were no signs of infection. She then removed the thread to apply steri-strips. When she got to the last loop of thread it opened like a zipper and started spurting blood all over her, the tech and me. It took 10-15 mins for them both to stop the flow with pressure. She irrigated the opening, and then had to sutur up the incision and apply the steri-strips. She said everything looked great. There were no blood clots or any signs of infection. She said I took great care of it and prescribed me Augmentin. I’m suppose to see my PCP in 2 days though and now am embarassed he will think less of me.
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:47 am

User avatar Hello again,
I am so happy to know you went to the ER. I was worrying about you. Please do not feel embarrassed to see your doctor. He needs to know why you felt so desperate to take such an action. Believe me, that seeing a psychiatrist does not mean you are insane. Mental Health specialists can help one to understand what is bothering them and how to deal with it. All of us, at one time or another, could use the help of a good psychiatrist to deal with issues we face. These issues could be mental, financial, emotional or even physical. It seems to me that you were feeling pretty desperate to the point of self-surgery. That really is an extreme action to take which shows how desperate you were feeling. Until you get those feelings resolved, you will not feel comfortable with your situation. Please do not quickly toss away any suggestion to seek the help of a psychiatrist. It might actually help you. Please ask you doctor about the possibility of a breast reduction surgery. Until you can get it done professionally, please don't attempt any more surgerys on yourself, ok?
Regards,
Carolyn
 MelindaCast - Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:16 am

I did ask my doctor and he referred me to a PS. My insurance denied the claim as the only breast reduction/augmentation they authorize is an implant for a mastectomy after cancer. This doesn't seem fair at all! You can always wear falsies to appear to have them, but there is nothing you can do to get rid of them. I don't think any kind of mental help will help me deal with the pain and deformity that my large chest is causing me. I have a hunchback that is getting worse. I can't even force it straight anymore. Bras cut into my shoulders and cause pain. They don't even make bras in my size anymore. I used to be a 36F and they have grown again and won't even fit in that anymore. Underwires barely last a week for me because they can't take the stress and break. They keep getting bigger and bigger. I have lost weight and it never comes from my chest. There was only one store that had a 36F that I could wear that the cup was big enough and now I can't fit it anymore. The few places that carry cup sizes higher than F only offer them in the larger sizes around. If I get anything larger than a 36, they just fall out of the bottom. They weigh several pounds apiece. I would even be willing to get an ugly BR with no nipples. I really don't care. I would even take a mastectomy. I just feel hopeless. There seems to be nothing I can do except to take action myself. I don't have any other options.

|