News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: clots coming from stitches

kk0513 - Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:11 pm

i had hernia surgery 8/14 and i have been totally swollen and bleeding from my stitches i went to the hospital about 5 days ago they said that it was just dead blood that had to come out will stop in about 2 days (alot of blood) then they called me 2 days later said i had an infection my fault for not asking what kind now im still bleeding and still swollen not as much but clots are coming out of my operation site a little streaked with white pus my husband wants to take me to the er again what do i do its now 3 weeks later and my stitches still have not healed do i go to the er
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:52 pm

User avatar Hello -

While surgery (and especially abdominal surgeries) can sometimes result in a collection of "dead" blood (plethora), which can be expressed as you describe, the greater problem is the fact that this collection of blood can provide a medium for bacteria and lead to infection. I hope you have been to the ER by now and had the site drained and were put on antibiotic therapy. This sort of thing can sometimes drag on for a while, and may, depending on the microbe causing the infection, actually be stubborn enough to require IV antibiotics or surgery to remove damaged tissue. Hopefully this is not the case, but antibiotics at the very least would seem to be indicated to avoid possible additional surgery and hospitalization.

Best of luck to you. Please keep us updated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here