Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: FESS Post symptoms

iWaitAndBleed - Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:31 pm

Hello, I'm a 19 yr boy who has big dreams but currently has been crashing into many obstacles on my life's journey. Will any kind doctor help me out?

Medical history:
Survived Meningitis 1st November 2007
Diagnosed with Severe Depression 23rd June 2008
Did Functional endoscopic sinus surgery (Removal of sinus bone, straightening of nose, trimming of flesh in nose and stitching up of flesh) 10th Sempterber 2008

Drugs:
Smoker (10 sticks a day) (Not smoking anymore now after Depression)
Non-alcoholic

Problem:
After my surgery with all the cotton suck and all.
The blood never stopped oozing even until now, which is a 6 days later.
On the day after surgery i had terrible headaches and my vision was mildly blur, my T-section of my face feels like it's being under heavy pressure.
Whenever the blood flows out, and i wipe it off, it will refill itself in my nostrils.
Used 11 Full Tissue Boxes already.
Right nose near the opening, there seems to be an infection.
Feel like floating all the time.
Nose can't smell anything.
Dizzy daily.
Fear of dying to a simple surgery.
Numbness of upper lips and tongue.
Jerks during sleep (like when you dream of falling down from a building and trying to cushion the impact)
Food has no taste at all, only can feel the texture.
Blood oozing out is thick and dark red, sometimes it looks like red cheese when u wipe it off as it is sticky. (Like when you pull out a piece of pizza, the cheese extends like glue)

Medication:
Strong Antibiotics
Paracetamol laced with Codeine

Questions:
1)Is it possible that I might die from this neverending bloodflow?
2)Did my stitch reopen?
3)Is my right nose inflammed? (touching the clot in the right nose hurts alot)
4)Should I stuff tissue up my nostrils?
5)Will I get back the ability to feel my lips?
6)Will I be able to taste food again?
7)How do I make myself feel better?
8)Are there any guides to help me prevent suicide?
9)My main concern : I'm determined to become the first Doctor in my family, but I am often discouraged when I think "Will i ever survive long enough to graduate from medical school?" Also the fear of death.

Please help me out here. Your response means alot to my survivability because i'm under alot of stress and pain.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:28 pm

User avatar Hi there -

There seem to be two separate issues overlapping here, one the aftermath of a rather (by nature) messy surgery, and your underlying depression issues. I'll address them by answering your question list at the bottom of the post (that was a very thorough and well-organized way to do this, by the way).

1) There is virtually no risk of bleeding to death from the seepage you're experiencing, but it is certainly messy and annoying. This typically can go on for as long as two weeks post surgery, so you may have a little way to go before it totally stops.
2) It is pretty unlikely your stitches have opened. This is unusual in the area in question.
3) There can be some inflammation, in this case in the right nostril or further upstream on the right side, and if the tenderness continues or becomes worse, you should notify your doctor as you may need to be placed on an antibiotic, but, again, this is a fairly common sequel to this type of surgery.
4) While stuffing tissues up your nostrils makes mechanical sense, it actually isn't a good idea, and dabbing is preferable in order to avoid irritating the already inflamed area. I can really empathize with the desire to do this, and if the bleeding doesn't slow and eventually stop by two weeks post surgery, you may need to have packing put back in, but please, not tissues. Trust me on this one.
5) The sensation in your lips should return slowly. It could take a while.
6) The sense of taste also should return but also can take a while. It often returns after the area has thoroughly healed, and sometimes returns rather abruptly.
7) Assuming a positive attitude about what you've had done to improve a really annoying health problem, and the fact that you've come through this far will help you to feel better. As for actual physical discomfort, stick to pain relievers such as acetaminophen, or opiod meds. Don't use NSAIDs such as ibuprofin til this is all healed and there is no bleeding at all. Consider that you've taken on a rather unpleasant task which should improve your health overall, and that you're dealing with it in a very mature and positive way.
8) Suicide is a separate (though of course related) issue, and needs to be addressed separately from the physical problem. There are certainly tracts on the prevention of suicide, but if you yourself experience suicidal thoughts, you definitely need to bring this to the attention of a professional trained in helping with this particular issue. Suicide is misunderstood by many laypeople, so seeking professional assistance with this part is very important, especially since your post indicates you are a very well-organized person who would probably make a very good medical student -- and we need those! We need good doctors, especially those with varied life experience to draw on, which makes them more empathetic. You would seem to fill the bill. I'm excited for you regarding your ambition in this area.
9) It would seem the worst of your health issues is now behind you, although with the sequel to the FESS being so messy, difficult and annoying, it's hard to concentrate on the positives until it starts to heal more thoroughly. So long as you keep your doctor advised of any possible infection, there's no reason to be concerned about surviving this ordeal, and you've already survived a far more serious challenge in having had meningitis -- plus you've dealt with serious depression, two very big accomplishments! Continue the great work, please follow up with us here as needed, and by all means find a trusted professional to work with on the suicidal ideation. There's no future in suicide. There's a tremendous future in the practice of medicine.

Best of luck to you. Please stay in touch.
 iWaitAndBleed - Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:58 am

Thank you very much, i'm feel much much better now. Everything has healed up and now i can't believe how i survived my youth. Thanks doctors!

|