News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Double Inguinal Hernias, post surgery pain

dream.lane@shaw.ca - Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:09 am

Hello,

I would like to know any advice about the sharp pain I've been having.

I'm a female, 22 years old. I think it was either 2004 or 2005 that I had double open surgery on two inguinal hernias. The pain is located where my theigh connects to my body, in the inside, on one side only, below the scar. Sometimes it is painful when coughing, sneezing, lifting etc... but it has recently been sore when I'm standing/sitting/walking or being perfectly still even. It's extremely sharp pain. I don't have a hernia bulge, so I'm not sure if it's recurring or not. I do have mesh on both sides.

Should I see my surgeon immediately? Should I just ask my family doctor when I go for my appointment in 2 weeks?

I used to smoke alot, quit for a while, now I'm back at it. I do have fat on me, but I wouldn't say I'm over weight. I eat healthy, except for drinking too much. I think I could have strained it/hurt it during sex? Not sure what to do.

Thanks for anything information.

dream.lane
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:49 pm

User avatar Hello -

While there are any number of ways you can reinjure a hernia repair, it usually has to be pretty vigorous activity soon after the surgery. What you're describing, symptom-wise, sounds as though it may be caused by adhesions, which occur sometimes in areas where surgery has been performed, where adjacent tissues become stuck together, causing pain and limitation of movement. And since you would undoubtedly need to see your surgeon about this problem anyway, it probably would make sense to go ahead and make an appointment with him as soon as possible, so that whatever the problem, it can be evaluated and managed promptly, before it has a chance to get worse. (There's no saying it would get worse, but since we don't know what's wrong, it's a possibility, and having been through surgery already, there's no sense having more work done if it can be avoided).

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here