Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Bump on my head is getting worse...

Teknix - Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:20 pm

I was at work and my visor might have been on a little too tight, but it made a bump on the back right side of my head. Now the bump is constantly stinging and it has gotten bigger over the past 2 days. Whenever I get the chills it makes the bump sting really bad, does anyone know what this might be?
 Teknix - Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:34 pm

Went to the doctor's office finally and found out I had a staph infection
 Parks P, RN - Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:52 pm

User avatar Hello, without having seen the bump I couldn't tell you with absolute certainty but the bump sounds like the formation of an abscess. If left untreated you would develop high fever and eventually septic shock. You are smart for going to the doctor right away and not letting that bump get larger. There are certain people that are predisposed to staphylococcal infections such as diabetics, people with skin disorders, medications like chemotherapy drugs. Treatment for this bacterial infection includes draining and culture of any abscesses. A strong antibiotic is prescribed like a penicillin or erythromycin I am sure you already know how important it is to finish all of the antibiotics as prescribed or you could end up with a resistant staph strain and end up in the hospital for weeks. Believe it or not the single most preventable cause for spreading infection is washing your hands.

Good luck,

Paul

|