Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Forearm Trauma

langford - Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:19 pm

If a man was stabbed completly through both forearms, how is it possible for him to still use his hands with those injuries? This happended to a friend of mine and do not understand.
 Parks P, RN - Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:13 pm

User avatar It is possible and rather infrequent, but a knife or any other sharp object can penetrate through the skin and muscle missing bone, nerves, arteries and tendons. I have personally seen a metal freeway post impaled through a patients neck and survived. The post was cut and we delivered him to surgery where the post was removed and the patient survived without incident. It should be said regardless of injuries that a tetanus shot and antibiotics would be part of the treatment plan as well as x-rays. I would not let something like that go untreated as there is a very good chance for infection. If left untreated the person could develop septicemia (blood poisoning) and die.

I hope this answers your question,

Paul
 langford - Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 am

Thank you for your reply. The person in question, as I was told, did this to himself. I am questioning whether that is possible. After being stabbed completly through both arms he supposedly killed himself. I am just having a hard time believing this story and need to know if someone with this type of injury could do it to themself, and then be able to inflict anther sever injury to another part of their own body.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:28 am

User avatar Hello langford,
Impalement injuries such as this and elsewhere in the body have been known to providentially miss vital structures.Blunt- pointed objects tend to deflect structures rather than to pierce them.Extremely pointed objects may not!
It is certainly possible that the victim, in the state of mind he was in, could have done what he allegedly did.

|