Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Swelling on top of skull

Fuchser - Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:02 am

Something like a month ago I noticed a swelling on my head. It feels kinda hard and doesn't hurt, but I do feel pressure sometimes or itch. I cant say if that's because I noticed it, or because it comes from the thing itself. The position of it is located on top of the head, close to the middle, just before the head starts to get round an go down. The thing is, since it's quite hard I'm somehow not able to say if it's something connected to my skull or is loose from my skull. If I push on it, it does give me more pressure on my head compared to when i push on other parts on my skull though.

I will shortly also describe another problem I had, that might or might not be related. Starting one month ago I started to feel more tired then normal, and this occurred especially in the evening or afternoon. The more time passed, the more intense this became. I also sometimes started not to feel a certain part of my face (close to my right eye at the side of my head). This also slowly increased and sometimes I started to not feel a part of my righteye and even my cheek. Friends told me it might be overexhaustion (is this the right word? I'm not from an english country). 2 Weeks ago after my exam period ended, I travelled to my mothers house the same day, and when I arrived on the station there I collapsed or had a blackout or something. The people from there brought me to the nightcare (hospital service in the weekend) and there they quickly did some tests on me to see how my brain reacted to them (10 different tests). The doctor said she had a feeling that it would be overexhaustion, since i study at a university, swim a lot for sport, play games around 2-3 hours a day and travel often to my parental home. After some rest these symptoms became less (the lack of feeling on my face), but i stayed quite tired and felt this bump on my skull pressuring sometimes (not painfull though). I noticed this bump because I often started to massage parts of my head in this period, and then linked the possibility of this bump having to do something with it.

Am I worrying about this for no reason? If not, what steps should I take?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:36 pm

There are many types of swellings which may occur over the scalp - single, multiple, benign or malignant. Only your specialist may come to any sort of clinical diagnosis after examining you.Therefore, consult a specialist and this will help to ease your mind.Good luck!

|