Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Post Operative adhesions and heat treatment

jclives1 - Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:40 am

I had an emergency open appendectomy on 11-16-08. My appendix was perforated and the surgeon also removed part of my Cecum. My surgeon who I lost some confidence in for telling me I can use use toilet paper to dress it and use hydrogen peroxide to clean the 2 open holes remaining after surgery, told me to apply heat to the abdomen twice daily for 30 minutes each interval. The wound clinic (got second opinion) told me not to use hydrogen peroxide as it kills good cells as well as bad and recommended packing the wound with Iodoform and dressing with gauze.

I have been reading about the risk of post operative intraabdominal adhesions. My question is, does applying heat increase the risk of these adhesions forming or does it actually help diminish the risk? What is the purpose of applying heat and how does heat play a role in the formation or inhibition of adhesion formations? I would like to do everything I can to prevent or decrease my risk for a future bowel obstruction secondary to adhesion formation if possible. Thank you for your careful consideration and reply in advance.

Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:27 am

I must confess that i have no experience in using local heat for preventing post operative adhesions.As far my knowledge goes, there is no proven connection between local heat and post operative adhesions.

|