News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Side Of Nose Leaking After Rhinoplasty

lauravasic - Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:48 am

I wasn't sure who to ask this question since it involves more than one part of the body. But since it began with a surgery, I'll ask a surgeon.
I had a plastic surgery to fix the bridge of my nose, take in my nostrils and 'redo' my eye sockets; and ever since than the left side of my nose has been leaking a clear, water-like, salty fluid. It's not coming from my nostrils but from the crease of the nostril. This has been going on for 2 years now and it's getting very annoying. A few people have mentioned "CSF rhinorrhea" which is concerning since I have a VP shunt. I also was thinking that maybe the fluid has a connection to the surgery that was done on my eyes. Maybe the fluid is some form of tears?
I have spoken with my doctor about what this fluid could be and if there is a possibility that the nose just didn't heal correctly and there is a 'hole' in the side of the nostril. But alas, he thinks I'm being 'silly'.
Any ideas about what this fluid could be? And how to stop this leaking?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:35 am

User avatar Hi,
One of the rare complications of rhinoplasty surgery is trauma to the lacrimal drainage system (LDS).The lacrimal drainage system (LDS) is vulnerable to surgical trauma during rhinoplasty - but utmost care is taken to avoid this complication.This has a tendency to close sponteneously over time.The lacrimal drainage system can be investigated by a system known as "active transport dacryocystography" (ATD).

One other very rare complication is a CSF (cerebro spinal fluid) leak. Identification of 'beta-2 transferrin' in the draining fluid constitutes a definitive diagnosis of this complication.If this complication unfortunately occurs, it needs to be surgically corrected by an experienced neurosurgeon.
I trust this information is useful to you.How are you now? Hope you got better.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here