Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Haemorrhoidectomy

mrvcky - Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:43 am

Am 27 yrs old
i have recently undergone Haemorrhoidectomy open surgory
its nearly 26 days since the day of the operation.
Recovery has been quite good till now i assume.
Am able to walk and even sit without much of a pain

But i have few doubts ,if anyone can clarify i would be glad

now I cant see any piles coming out as was the case before the surgery ,but have some flesh (or) skin (or) some thread like thing around the anal part . IS IT NORMAL

1) While i walk there is no real pain but a sense of uncomfort and i feel some sort of wound around that ANAL part, and even while i cough or sneeze that generates some pain.

2) Bleeding while bowel moments ,not regularly though.

3) A sense of itch thrugh out the day, really bothers me . Is it normal even after so many days of operation. "BACILAC(20 days)" thats the only tablet am still continuing with, which was prescribed to me after the review (Review was done 10 days after the surgery with proctoscope)

3) am still continuing with the sitzz bath ,and till how many days i have to do that.

4) Can i go for Non-veg food and as of now i am driving a Two-wheeler,will that do any harm

If the above cases are all normal how many days more does it generallly take for it to get absoluetly normal

I hope someone has the patience to answer these Questions.

Parks P, RN - Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:44 pm

User avatar Most patients are satisfied with the results of the surgery and recover without any problems. Complications associated with hemorrhoidectomy are rare and include:

* Anal fistula or fissure
* Constipation
* Excessive bleeding
* Excessive discharge of fluid from the rectum
* Fever of 101°F or higher
* Inability to urinate or have a bowel movement
* Severe pain, especially when having a bowel movement
* Severe redness and/or swelling in the rectal area
* Side effects of anesthesia (e.g., spinal headache)

The surgeon should be notified if any of these symptoms are experienced during the immediate postoperative period. The stringy tissue could be small amounts of packing(guaze) left over which is nothing to worry about. Without knowing what type of hemmorrhoidectomy you had, stapled, banded, internal or external. In a stapled procedure the surgeon uses tissue further in the anus to close the wound, you may be seeing this tissue. The fact that you are itching means you are healing. Complete recovery takes 6-8 weeks. Make sure you are taking stool softeners so you don't strain during a bowel movement also make sure you don't do any heavy lifting as this may put extra strain on the surgical site. Follow your discharge instructions and if any of the above symptoms appear contact your surgeon

Good luck,

Paul
 mrvcky - Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:48 am

Hello Paul,

Are there any chances of side effects after 1 and half year of surgery.

recently i have been experiencing some kind of pain around the operated place.

Stools are smooth enough and i cant c any bleeding during that.

However two things that are bothering me are

1) After the stools when i sprinkle water it burns. Just as it happens when water is sprinkled on a open wound.

2) Outside the rectum part and little above it , there is some pain which doesnt allow me to sit for long time.This is happening on a
'boney" part .

I tried to contact my surgeon but he is out of station. and am really worried abt visiting another surgeon.

So any idea why this could be happening, is this because the operated place is opened up again or wat could be the cause?

will wait for ur reply, thanks
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:58 am

The fact that you are experiencing a burning sensation somewhere just behind the anus, especially while washing that area indicates that the skin in that area is perhaps raw.

First condition to be excluded is an intertrigo(an inflammation of the body folds). The natal cleft is one such area. This area is prone to getting moist and an element of friction in this area is unavoidable(especially while sitting, during subtle changes of posture during prolonged sitting or while walking. As this area can collect moisture, and coupled with a lack of adequate ventilation, superadded infections(bacterial/candidial) may occur.

Due to the proximity to the anus and genitals, feces, urine, and vaginal discharges may gain access to this area and worsen the situation.Obesity is a major predisposing factor, apart from diabetes mellitus, hot, humid environments, hyperhidrsis, incontinence(urinary/fecal), and decreased immunity.

The other conditions that merit consideration are
- an inflammed pilonidal cyst,
- an early perianal suppuration,and
- a boil/furuncle.

It is unlikely to be related to your previous surgery. I feel that you should show to your regular family doctor first who will be able treat some of these conditions and be able to refer you to a surgeon if necessary.

|