Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: I fell...is it possible to reopen a surgery site internally?

amylea6 - Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:30 pm

I had a hysterectomy about a year ago. I healed and am fine however I fell on the ice about a week ago. Initially my abdominal muscles were very sore but about 3 days ago my right side (at the end of my abdominal incision) feels like it did right after surgery. It hurts to sneeze, get out of bed, bend over, all of those things that hurt after surgery. Should I worry about this? Can anything be done or do I just have to wait for it to heal again?

Amy Davis
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:42 pm

User avatar Hi Amy -

After a year it's unlikely the surgical site has been disturbed, but you may well be more sensitive in that area since some muscles may have been cut or other structures disturbed, so that when you fell it may have caused some delayed soreness. This should have resolved by now (almost two weeks after your post was put up), so if it's still causing you discomfort you should get it checked, but I can't imagine that anything related to the surgery was "knocked loose." The pain may be related, as I said, to sensitivity related to the surgery, but it may also just be muscular pain in the same general area. Falls on the ice are really fast and violent, so sometimes we get up and keep going and later realize we've pulled something. It's more the trying not to fall, more often than not, that causes the muscle pulls.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you and please follow up with us.

|