Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: swelling of the hand

tulloch83 - Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:23 pm

my dad was working at a hotel yesterday and reached into a hole in a wall to pull some wire. once his hand was inside he felt a prick and immediately pulled his hand out. within 5 seconds, the area around a small cut was swelling. today, he woke up and saw his entire hand is swollen, but the cut is still very small, actually hard to notice. his whole hand hurts, and it hurts to make a fist, however he can. I used a lot of websites to find out what it is, but they all talk about swelling within 30 minutes, nothing specifically about immediate swelling. also, he is not sure what caused the cut. it could have been some metal, wood, or even a bite from something in the wall, he couldn't see inside. thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:50 pm

User avatar Hi tulloch83,
It could have been any number of things that caused it but my first impression would be that of a spider bite. No matter what actually caused it in my opinion he needs to have it evaluated.

|