News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Post surgical MRSA infection, looking for care instructions

jsmith68 - Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:33 am

All -
I broke my ankle about a month ago. It was a closed fracture but the orthopedic surgeon had to open my leg in two places to set the break. She installed a 12 inch plate with 10 screws on one side and just two screws on the other. A week later we removed the surgical cast, the wounds looked pink and healthy, little bit of bleeding. The orthopedist put on a fiberglass walking cast. About a week later the cast starting smelling really bad. I went to my scheduled appointment two weeks after the walking cast got put on, the X-Rays looked good, I asked the Dr. to replace the cast so it didn't smell so bad, when it was cut off the bigger surgical cut (~12") was bright read and had several greenish-yellowish ulcers. We replaced the fiberglass cast with a Aircast and I started taking 2000mg of cephalexin/day. Also started careful wound care, replacing the bandages, cleaning with saline, etc. There wasn't a change in a couple of days so I went and had a culture done. 4 days later the culture came back as MRSA. The doc switched me to Septra DS, 1600mg/day.

As far as I can tell a MRSA infection after metal has been left in the body can be very, very dangerous. What can I do at home to increase the likelihood of eliminating the infection as soon as possible?

Thanks!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:03 am

User avatar Hi,
It is possible that the MRSA infection is a superficial SSI (surgical site infection).But as you have an implant, it is natural that one has to be concerned.Please continue the medications as prescribed by your orthopedic surgeon and follow up with him/her regularly.It is better to ascertain if you are a carrier of MRSA by cultures.As you were at home when you sent in your query, let us sincerely hope that the bug will hopefully leave you as it often does in patients who are discharged from the hospital environment.However,your surgeon is the best judge.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here