Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Post spinal tap problems

BearCatDT60 - Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:11 pm

Ok my girlfriend had a spinal tap done back in october of 2008, ever since then she has been having back pain, she described it as a sharp pain, it would bother her once in awhile, but back in late January or early February, she found a bulbessy spot on her back that was sensitive to touch, doctors said that it may be a muscle cramp after she had an EMG done a few weeks back, she was limping around a bit thats about it, then she had pain going down her left leg and it hurt to put pressure on it, lately she has pain in both her legs and her lower back now hurts to touch or to put pressure on, she cant sit up for more then 10 to 20 minutes at most, she has to walk around with a crutch to keep pressure off her left leg, the doctors have done MRI's and she has seen the doctor multiple times, they cant find anything wrong with her they give her medicene to relive the pain, and the only way she can get to sleep is if she takes medication, I apologize that this question is long but im really worried about her and i wondered if any one has gone threw this same problem and can help me to help her, a professional opinion would be greatly appreciatied. Again I apologize for the length of this but im really worried.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:02 am

User avatar Hi BearCatDT60,
Where exactly is the pain located aside from the lower back, perhaps the back of the thighs? Sciatica, inflammation of the sciatic nerve may cause significant pain in the lower back extending down the back of one or both thighs. I'm not implying that this is the causative factor but if these are the symptoms she is experiencing I would suggest that she have an evaluation by an orthopedic specialist. I hope this has been somewhat helpful.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:32 am

I would prefer to know the indication for the spinal tap before venturing an answer.

|