Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Abdominoplasty / breast lift...

bellag1023 - Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:08 pm

I am a single mother of 2 children. One is 11 years and one is a year and a half. I am not a big girl. About 5'6" and 130lbs. I think I look pretty good other than the fact I have the real nasty loose skin on my lower abdomen. It's embarrassing! I can't wear certain bathing suits, clothes, etc... I don't feel comfortable naked in front of anyone. I am single and have been for about 2 years now, so that isn't the issue at the moment. But it's a personal issue. I don't like being 29 years old and not liking what I see in the mirror. So that was a little history.

I'm curious to know if I were to get the surgery (abdominoplasty / breast lift (without implants) ), could a tubal ligation be performed during the surgery? Also, I'm pretty sure insurance doesn't cover the plastic surgery, but do you think if I were having the tubal ligation at the same time, they would pay for the anesthesia and/or some other fees as well? Partial payment? Also, would you recommend me waiting till my little one is a little older due to the fact of healing time afterward, or would I be able to care for her at home after the first few days of recovery? I'd just like a little advice if you could. Thanks so much for your time!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:43 pm

Abdominoplasty is a very serious surgery and it requires quite a lot of healing time so, yes, this could be difficult while caring for little ones. Also, I would not do that unless I had first done serious exercising, perhaps with a personal trainer who could help you achieve whatever might be possible prior to surgical intervention.

Usually they do not combine procedures such as these due to infection and complication risks, but you could discuss it with your doctor and it might be possible. However, sometimes insurance denies an otherwise covered procedure when it is combined with cosmetic, elective surgery like this. It is because they realize it may be your motivation for the other procedure.

Of course before such a drastic measure you should also be absolutely certain you do not want more children. All too often a single woman later enters a relationship where her new husband really wants children and she regrets this decision. I would consider something reversible first until you are absolutely sure.

|