Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Bier Block without sedation

goex2f - Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:14 pm

I need to have ulnar nerve and carpal tunnel surgery done and it's going to be done with a Bier Block. I can't do sedation and am willing t endure the possible cuff discomfort. The anesthesia nurse says that I have to get sedation which I know is wrong, the surgeon has done them without sedation and I just can't do the drugs. I have had a Bier Block with and without sedation and the sedation was horrible; other than increasing the cost of the operation, why would the nurse "insist" on sedation if I can't do it? The doc told me that if they insist, just show up and wite on the consent "no sedation, Bier Block only". Can you possibley tell me why they would suggest sedation since I can;t do it? thanks
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:15 am

The nurse was right. Her opinion is based on the majority of patients she has come across in her experience.Bier block without sedation is generally very uncomfortable.Although you say that you have endured it, any surgeon will be understandably apprehensive in case he/she had to abandon the surgery half way through!

|