Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: painful lump in neck

seddy - Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:46 am

Hi there. Ive had a stiff neck for a few weeks now and bad headaches. at the top of my spine to the left hand side is a lump whicj i thought was a pulled mscle. This is very sore to touch and has not been helped with mild rubbing. The headaches see to be coming from this. I aslso have arthiritis at the base of my spine. Do you think I need to get the lump checked out. :cry:
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:39 am

Every painful or painless lump in any part of the body should be investigated to determine aetiology.

The neck stiffness and bad headaches may be related to arthritic conditions of the cervical spine or some other sinister causes. Blood pressure estimation is necessary. Therefore, it is necessary for a physician to examine you for further mangement of your complaints.

Thank you for contacting this website.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

casted - Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:35 pm

I have had the exact same symptoms recently. About a week ago I noticed a lump on the back, right, upper side of my neck; it's a relatively small, but substantial feeling lump around or right below my back hairline. It is sore to touch; although, like you, I can rub it, and sometimes it feels better.

I also have had severe to mild pain on this side of my neck for quite some time. I am young, in my early twenties, but played a collegic sport and got bumpted around a lot, so my spine was always getting out of whack. I go to my chriporactor, who relieves the pain, but it always comes back if I don't visit him at least twice a month. the pain is sort of a shooting pain, or spasm when I turn my head to the left. If I lean my head back and slightly to the left the spasm shoots down the left sidde of my spine. Rubbing my upper neck has become a habit, as it relieves the pain, but this recent lump has me concerned. You said that you've been experiencing headaches; is this a recent occurance, or have you had a history of them? i have always had bad headaches, a migrain once a month around my mentstral cycle, and constant tension headaches around finals and other stressful situations. I am about to graduate and have an enormous amount of stress at this point in my life, but a lump seems a little extreme to be a symptom of stress...I'm fine with a lump, but its slightly more serious conditions, such as cancer that worry me. I should have it checked but i feel like such a hypochonriac...i'm sure i spelled that wrong as well as many other words...this is the first time i've ever posted anything and probably the last....but forgive the spelling....i'm tired and my lump hearts....

Cheers lump friend!

|