News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Tiny lump on back

JSAL - Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:00 pm

I recently discovered a small lump on my back. It's about the size of a pea and is about an inch away from my spine in my midback. It does not hurt. What could this be
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:41 pm

Assuming that your description is correct and the lesion is a lump, not a growth above the skin, it is most likely to be an epidermoid cyst or a lipoma.

An epidermoid cyst (EC) is the most common skin cyst and occurs in young to middle-aged adults. It is also known as a sebaceous cyst and can sometimes be mistaken for a lipoma. EC occurs commonly on the face, neck, upper trunk and scrotum, while lipomas occur mostly on the neck, trunk and limbs.

Lipomas are soft, rounded and movable against the overlying skin; epidermoid cysts are firmer and not mobile against the overlying skin. Both conditions are benign, but epidermoid cysts are prone to rupture, which is then associated with some pain.

A doctor's examination is necessary to confirm diagnosis.

Thank you for contacting this website.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here