Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: post surgery - rectal hemmeroid removal

performersk - Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:21 pm

Where to begin,

In 2007 I was diagnosed with internal/external hemmeroids. I had a banding procedure done, to no avail. Then went to a specialist who performed a PPH operation on them in 2008. Also to no avail. Then later in 2008 had an extremely large (at this point) external hemmeroid removed.

Now over a year later, my stool still comes out either soft/liquid form, or if there is shape to it, it seems to be flattened and VERY difficult to pass. Often causing rectal bleeding (spotting) and a CONSTANT liquid discharge (to the point I am wearing Gauze when I leave the house). This discharge is also causing a rash of a sort (very dry skin all around rectal area, often flaking and itching horribly). I have also noticed that where the doctor had closed the hemmeroid, there is now a large bulbous layer of skin which overlaps the rectum (wasn't there before the surgery) and seems to be part of the "blockage".

I have tried fiber (up to 40G a day), with no noticeable difference.
The only time I noticed a regular bowel movement was the brief time i used a protein suppliment (whey protein 250g a day).

I've had ultrasounds done, Small Bowel follow throughs, xrays, colonoscopies, and MANY MANY finger probes (not a good time) throughout this process and still have no relief of the originial symptoms (bleeding/itching/urgency to have movement, with little to no result, either no/little substance to a movement, and very difficult time even passing liquid through my anus.

I've been ruled out for chron's and the other major disease, and been stated that it was either hemmeroids or "spastic rectum" from the scar tissue of previous surgeries.

ANY advise here would be appreciated on how/what/who to see to get this problem fixed

Thank you in advance

Roger Grogan
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:06 am

It is probable that you have a certain degree of anal stricture.Self anal dilatations using anal dilators after initial trial under supervision of a specialist may be of help.

|