News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Surgery while Pregnant

kebler4444 - Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:01 am

I am currently 10 weeks pregnant and was recently told that I have a mass by or on (they don't know which) my right ovary. They don't know if it is cancerous or not and said it is up to me if I want to have it removed. I had an ultrasound last week and they said the mass is a little smaller than an orange. My blood work reveals that my cancer leaves look good, but my Hcg levels are continuing to be higher than the doctors would like (At 8 weeks they were 130,000 and and 9 weeks they were 156,000).

I've been wondering what the risk would be for the baby, but am not getting any straight answers. Everyone says it's possible that I might lose the baby, but I'm not clear as to how possible that is. Is it like a 5% chance of hurting the baby or more like 80% chance? They are wanting to operate when I am 12 weeks.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:19 am

User avatar Hi,
As i am a recent entrant to Doctors lounge, this reply is too belated for you as you were 10 weeks into pregnancy in april 2009 when you had this query.
Each year, over 75,000 pregnant women in the United States of america undergo nonobstetric surgery.The indications are varied - some related to pregnancy in some way and others none.
When necessary, surgery may be performed during pregnancy with maternal safety.
Potential adverse effects for the fetus include
spontaneous abortion (maximal in 1st trimester)
preterm delivery (maximal in 3rd trimester)
intrauterine growth restriction (anytime in pregnancy)
Your obstetrician was right in suggesting surgery at 12 weeks.I assume the cyst was a 'complex' cyst on USG.
Neonatal mortality is 90% at 25 weeks' gestation and drops to less than 15% by
week 30.
How are you? What is the latest? Please let me know.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here