News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Right Sided Rib Cage Pain after Lap Choley

hospadministrator - Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:36 pm

I am having moderate to severe pain under my right rib cage after a lap choley on 4-13-09. I am having chills and low grade temp and pain in this area. Is this something to be of great concern. My MD has ordered lab and working this up. What can this be? I also had a umbilical hernia repair at the same time of this procedure. Any guidance would be of help. He mentioned a leaking bile duct versus a nerve damage. What will have to do if this is a leaking bile duct?

Thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat May 23, 2009 11:09 pm

User avatar Hello --

While this sort of symptom isn't unheard of after a lap chole procedure, it does sound as though there may be an infection going on. Whether or not it involves a leaking bile duct is quite another matter, and this needs to be clarified and resolved at once if it is the case. A leaking duct versus nerve damage is far too great a spread of possibility. I think it's time for you to seek a second opinion with a surgeon who can best determine what's going on and what's needed to resolve it. It's impossible to know, at this distance and given the possibilities, what might actually be going on, but your MD has thrown more doubt than light on the whole thing.

Please udate us as to the outcome. Hopefully nothing serious is going on. I think it will require consult with a qualified surgeon to clear this up. Good luck to you.
 hospadministrator - Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:29 pm

John,

Thank you for the advice. I had an interesting post-op course, about a week after I posted this I had a Pulmonary Embolism and was rushed to the hospital, got over that quickly. The only thing I can still not do is sleep on my right side as it still hurts?? My MD said it could be a nerve that was irritated during the surgery. I am glad I had the procedure done, but the complications was no fun!!

Thank you again for your concern.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:35 am

User avatar "Interesting" is putting it mildly. While this does happen it is extremely rare, enough so that it would be pretty far down the guess list. I'm relieved you had no further complications from this, and hope the right-sided discomfort soon resolves. It's very possible it could be an irritated nerve, although it shouldn't actually be injured. The pressure due to pumping the abdominal cavity full of gas to inflate the work area can sometimes cause lingering nerve irritation, especially if some gas becomes trapped in the upper right quadrant.

Interesting for sure. Some people just seem to have all the luck. Hope yours has changed for the better!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here