Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Side aches and appendectomies...

TheShoelessWonder - Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:46 am

I'm just wondering about the possible connection between having an appendectomy and not having those annoying side stitches (side aches) that people get when they run or when they exercise too soon after eating. A friend of mine doesn't get side stitches after eating even though he often exercises immediately after, and we were wondering if there might be a connection to the fact that he has had his appendix removed. He still gets side stitches when just running and I thought it might just be that since the side ache is caused by a cramp in the muscles, an appendix- or lack thereof- wouldn't be related. However, he pointed out that by that same logic, the eating thing wouldn't be related either. Thus, we're still wondering.

Any insights? Does having your appedix removed either get rid of them or at least reduce the risk of getting them? Or is it completely unrelated?
 Dr. R. Kothari - Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:50 am

Having or not having an appendix bears no relation to side stitches post exercise.
The appendix, though a vestigeal organ is never prophylactically removed !

RHK
 TheShoelessWonder - Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:11 pm

Hehe that's what I thought. Just had to ask and make sure. =)

Now then, my next question would be as to the cause of side stitches specifically following meals. I understand how they are caused when exercising, but why is there a correlation to exercising too soon after eating? I'd appreciate a technical explanation here as well (sorry, I'm such a geek...). =)

Thanks,
Shoeless
 sapphire - Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:38 pm

a week before my period is suppose to come.. (period is suppose to start tomorrow the 30th) I was fooling aroud with my bf.. and we had taken our pants off and i had underwear on still and he was rubbing up against me and such but he never put the tip of it by my vagina. And then he took my underwear off and such and it was around there but didnt directly touch my vagina.. what would be the chances of me being pregnet if there was precum that had come out..? im soo scared rite now.

|