Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: inquinal hernia surery not healed been 6 months!

joopes83 - Fri May 08, 2009 3:24 pm

I am a 44 year old male with hypertension. I currently am taking 10 mg of Lisonopril daily. On Oct.24th I had hernia surgery. (not laproscopic) Everything went well. It looked completely healed after about 3 weeks. Well, about the 5th week, the incision split open and began draining a pinkish clearish substance. I saw the surgeon and he gave me an antibiotic and had me keep a dry gauze on it. About Jan. a suture began protruding from the incision area, i called the doc and he had me come in. He numbed me up and removed the suture. since then i get this lippy thing along with the oozing. Each time I see the doc, he cuts the lippy thing off, and bandages me up and has me come in the following week. So far he has cut on me 3 times to remove the lippy thing( he called it something, but i forget what that is). So it has been about 6 months, i still have the draining, and i still get the lippy thing. Can anyone tell me if this is something to be concerned about? What the heck is up? I just had my gall bladder removed 3 weeks ago, and everything healed up fine. Thanks for any help.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:31 pm

I wonder if it was a mesh repair or any other kind of repair. Could have been deep SSI (surgical site infection). At times this kind of infection may lead to even extrusion of the mesh. Did the surgeon who operated you recently on your gall bladder have a look at the infection in your groin?

|