News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Breast Tissue From Underarm To Breast??

Bionca - Fri May 08, 2009 4:15 pm

I have a lump under my left arm which is breast tissue and I was wondering if it's possible for me to get the breast tissue removed from under my arm and then put into my left breast? My left breast is a bit smaller than my right one and I'm thinking this is because a fair bit of the breast tissue is under my arm. If this could be put into my left breast it would make it more symmetrical with the right breast.

Is this procedure possible to do? Would there be any complications with doing this?

I wanted to get the lump removed from under my arm because it is very noticeable but I was thinking instead of discarding the tissue, it could be put into my breast to make the size more similar to my other one.

Do you think I should do this or just get the tissue taken out from under my arm and leave it at that?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated. Thanks! :-)

Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:03 am

User avatar Hi Bionca,
You seem to be very sure that you have accessory breast tissue in your axilla.If indeed it is accessory breast tissue (again i hope that it has been diagnosed as such),i would like to add the following comments.
a) although it contains breast tissue, it may not have a well developed ductal system(unless ofcourse a well developed nipple is associated with it)
b) it may not be feasible to safely exclude any foci which may cause concern from an oncological point of view.
c) its blood supply may not be predictable.
Even if it is grafted (in theory), whether it will be a successful 'take' can't be predicted.
Even if the 'take' were to be successful, how it may behave in its new environment also can't be predicted.
There is not sufficient evidence(as far as my knowledge goes) at present that it is safe or that it can be routinely recommended.You may consult an expert in this field to get more authentic info.I hope my reply might help you in your discussions with the expert.Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here