Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Inaugural Hernia Surgery very scared

cowboy6gun - Sun May 10, 2009 5:54 pm

I am 45 and have a hernia that I think I have had for several years it is in the groin area on the left side and is bulged out most of the time now. I really just can't make myself do the surgery I have not talked to a sergon I really don't know what I am going to do am really not able to do this. I also have times when I have to urinate a bunch like 4 or 5 times in an hour especailly if i am worried about something. But sometimes I will be fine all morning and have lunch and then just have to go a bunch for the next hour or so I do go more then a little tiny bit every time too Latley since the hernia has been bothering me more I kinda feel like I have to urinate all the time.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:41 pm

Hello Cowboy6gun,

Your inguinal hernia should be evaluated by your physician. In some cases, with monitoring, a small hernia can be reduced and managed without surgery. However, if it enlarges or twists, it can be a medical emergency. Your symptoms suggest that your hernia is large enough to be putting pressure on your bladder/pelvic area. Going to the doctor will give you information based on actual evaluation, and you can decide your best course of action after that. It's normal to have anxiety regarding surgery, so also discuss your concerns with your doctor. Some of the issues you fear in surgery may not be based on fact.

Good luck to you,
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:06 am

User avatar Hi cowboy6gun,
The first thing you have to do is to get yourself evaluated to exclude urinary bladder outlet obstruction (commonly due to prostatic enlargement) which may not only cause an inguinal hernia(frequently on both sides),but also can worsen the hernia and can even result in recurrences following surgery.In case bladder outlet obstruction exists, this can be corrected in a single sitting along with hernia repair.Good luck!

|