News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Epigastric Hernia Repair

raesol23 - Mon May 11, 2009 4:04 pm

I'm a 19 year old female who had an epigastric hernia repaired on April 2. The hernia was very small and was repaired with only stitches, no patch. Prior to the surgery I weightlifted and ran at least 4 day/week. Four weeks after the surgery, I started exercising again. Mainly running, but I did start weight lifting 3 times/week. Light weights, and only exercises that don't put strain on my stomach. This morning, I may have done a little too much. I am careful to monitor how much weight I am lifting and adjust until I feel okay (generally, I try to lift light weights, high # of repetitions versus lifting heavy weights, moderate # of repetitions as I did before the surgery). However, I think I might have added to much weight. A few hours later, the area of my hernia hurts. It's not excruciating, just dull and constant, like the way the hernia hurt prior to the surgery. I know it's not anything I ate (I had a veggie salad and fruit salad for lunch) so I'm assuming it's the hernia. Is it possible that I've pushed through the stitches? Is there anyway to be sure before I see my doctor? I'm schedule for my 8-week followup on May 21, should I see her sooner?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
I appreciate your concern.Recurrences following an epigastric hernia repair are mostly not true recurrences but missed additional small epigastric herniae. But in case you want to put your mind to rest, get an ultrasound examination done and a good sonologist will be able to sort out pretty easily.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here