News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Parathyroid shock/function

mth500 - Sat May 16, 2009 1:34 am

I am a 44 year old male who underwent a total thyroidectomy 6 weeks ago due to an multi nodular goiter and an enlarged left side of thyroid gland. According to the surgeon's nurse, the parathyroids were reportedly left in following surgery.

My hormone levels/blood chemistry are significantly off. We live in a small town and have difficulty with follow up from local doctors(the surgery was performed 5 hours away in a teaching hospital in Seattle.)

My THS is currently 29, T4 .61 BUN 20, Creatinine 1.50 Vitamin D level (5), I am currently on 125mcg Levothyroxin daily (just increased), 100mg of generic Toprol XL for HTN, 24,000mg Calcium Carbonate daily (2 Tums: 400 mg- 3 x day.) 4,000 units of vitamin D daily.

My (daily) symptoms include numbness/tingling/burning in my hands, feet, fingers, extremities and sometimes my cheek (but never all at once.) My lips also feel "funny." I also experience Fatigue and I have frequent pain in my kidney area (lower back) that can be stabbing and brief or a chronic ache. I am also experiencing sever anxiety. My Calcium levels thus far have been around 8.8

Question: I am aware that alot of the above symptoms may indicate a Calcium problem which can be serious. Can you tell me how long parathyroids may be in shock after surgery before coming back? They started giving me Tums right after surgery but always said my Calcium levels were "ok." I am afraid this may turn into an unmanageable situation because we live in a small western town without adequate healthcare nearby.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:18 pm

User avatar Hi,
Transient post thyroidectomy hypocalcemia may take several weeks to several months to revert back to normalcy.Your calcium level is slightly on the lower side.
Hypocalcaemia can be graded into five grades; Grade I - No
spontaneous hypocalcemia, Grade II - Occasional hypocalcemia,
Grade III - Serum Ca < 8.5mg %, Grade IV - Serum Ca < 7.5mg% and
Grade V- Serum Ca< 6.5mg% .
Your's may be at worst Grade II - Occasional hypocalcemia.
I suggest that you should continue your prescribed medications and hopefully your parathyroid function would recover in the near future.Please be aware of inhibitors of calcium absorbtion.You can easily download this information on the net.Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here