Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: problem after circumcision

R@J@ - Tue May 19, 2009 4:34 am

I have a baby Son of 9 and a half month... his circumcision was done when he was less than a month in age... but the problem is that uptill now his penis remains inside the skin which seems to covering it...if i press the skin with my fingers aside the penis comes out and looks alright in shape( it actually looks like a turtle head coming in and out) ... i have consulted two child specialists and a surgeon about this and they all was on same thing that the skin was not cut properly and left large enough than the penis so it covers it and it will be all right when he grews up... but uptill now there is no sign of it... im very afraid about it... the surgeon asked me to check it and if required we will again cut the skin around it.... im very afraid and wants to know what is that problem and how much serious it is and what the solution is....
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:56 am

Neonatal circumcisions can be notoriously difficult technically (especially in judging the amount of skin to be removed).This becomes even more difficult while operating under local anesthetic (penile dorsal nerve block or ring block).It is easy to cut off too much skin (resulting in a penis which is buried in the scrotum) or to leave behind too much skin (needing revision surgery at a later date).If your child has no voiding difficulty,then you may wait and get the revision surgery done just prior to school going age.

|