Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Nipples Puffiness Nine Months Postop Gynecomastia

mason - Sat May 30, 2009 4:46 am

I am 23 years old, about 6'1" and 198 pounds. Six to Seven years ago, I experienced to have puffy nipples. I went to see a doctor who diagnosed me with gynecomastia. Since I was in puberty period, he advised to wait. It did not go away; rather it became increased as the time passed. I was having puffy nipples from the beginning of this problem which generally gets into its normal shape if weather gets cold or if I touch my nipples for some time and then it puffs back again like it would have been filled with air. On palpating, it gives a spongy feeling. The size of areola also increased meanwhile and it got worse till a year ago. I consulted my plastic surgeon who offered surgery to remove glands there. Many tests were done including testerones and other hormonal tests, which all were found to be negative. Surgery was uneventful and sutures were removed seven days postop. I was told that swelling will go by the time. Areola has also decreased in size, but the puffiness of nipples has never gone. Now, after nine months' postop, I am still having puffy nipples. I cannot palpate any hard mass or gland inside it. It is very soft except for some tenderness right over the incision site on the right; but the left side incision site is nontender. It's really embarrassing to have the same problem after having undergone surgery. It is now affecting my physical appearance and I am very concerned about it.

Please suggest me a possible way out to get rid of this problem.

Thanks.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm

User avatar Hi mason,
Usually nippples tend to erect on manipulation or during cold weather. In your case the opposite seems to be happening.Without actually examining clinically, it is difficult to hazard a guess.I feel that you should consult an endocrinologist first, rule out endocrinological problems and then get the nipples reduced by a plastic surgeon.
 wilsamos - Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi doc, I'm 20 and have had puffy nipples for about 3 years now. I believe that Marijuana can cause this in teens. Now I have smoked a fair amount of that but barely any before the time I noticed my nipples were becoming enlarged. Is there any other ways to find out why it was caused and is surgery the best option?

|