News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: swelling and chf after leg removal

jamiekay1983 - Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:12 pm

i have a friend who is 25,male, and a fire fighter. he recently was in an accident that resulted in his leg being removed. he says his body had swollen up after surgery and a couple days ago had CHF. they want to put a pace maker in his heart cause his heart is slowing down or something like that. is there something wrong with this picture? i don't understand why his body swelled up or why fluid built up around his heart when he is so young. is there a possibility there is something else really going on here?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:59 am

User avatar Hi jamiekay1983,
Causes of congestive heart failure may be the result of an unknown congenital defect, high blood pressure, diabetes, kidney disease, lung disease, heart valve problems, viral infections or an unknown reason altogether, etc. The best suggestion that I can give to you and your friend is ask his physician what he or she thinks is the causative factor. They would be in the best position based on his condition to honestly answer questions (please ask). One use of a pacemaker is it essentially can adjust the faulty electrical system in the heart to speed up the heart rate when it is a lower than the normal rate. I hope this information is helpful.
Best wishes to you and your friend!
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:45 pm

User avatar Dear Hi jamiekay1983,
I do not know the details of the nature of the trauma your friend had suffered.Although there are many causes for this problem, as a surgeon, i would like to first rule out trauma as the primary cause.In cases of polytrauma due to severe, high velocity impacts, direct trauma to the heart is well known.This may result in a range of problems (abnormal electrical conduction in the heart resulting in heart blocks, dysrrhythmias. congestive cardiac failure Etc).If the victim had pre -existing cardiac problems, obviously the symptoms would be worse.The swelling in his legs could be as a result of congestive cardiac failure or as a sequel to deep vein thrombosis.I hope this helps you to understand the situation better.

yours sincerely,
Dr.M.Aroon Kamath

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here