Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Hole in c section scar 6 weeks after emergency surgery

advent - Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:55 am

Hi, Im 18 years old and have recently had a c section 6 weeks ago, i had dissolveable stiches in my wound and now i have a hole like an open sore in the actual scar looks like its spliting and is also weeping a little ..What would you advise i have had a course of antibiotics and now use cream from my gp but there is no improvement in the hole healing..

Hope you can Help Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:50 am

User avatar Hi advent,
Did you return to the gynecologist/obstetrician that performed the c-section? If you have not I would strongly suggest that you do so. Diagnostic studies could be completed on the area that is weeping to ascertain if an underlying infection is present. Typically if an incision is infected the area will be red, warm to touch and the drainage would be purulent (appearing like pus). If the area you are referring to is still causing concern I would suggest that you return to your specialist. Best wishes!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:52 am

User avatar Hi advent,
Went through the history provided by you,it appears that you have a localised,supeficial SSI(surgical site infection).The best course of action would be
to return to your specialist for a review (who would perhaps take a wound swab for culture and sensitivity and start you on a course of antibiotic therapy & dress the wound). In case that is not feasible, next choice would be to consult another obstetrician.For a wound that is weeping,creams or ointments may not be suitable. Regular wound dressings(absorbent) would be a better choice.Hope the sore will heal soon & i wish you luck!

|